joining us for worship: 10:30am SUNDAYS
What to expect
Joining a church community for their large group gathering time can be intimidating, we know!
We want to help you feel welcome and at home, so here's what to expect.
First of all, come as you are.
No dress codes. No expectations. Wherever you have been, whatever you look like, whatever your history, your religion, your lack of religion, your lifestyle choices... all are welcome to gather with the University Avenue community.
Find a place to park: It's FREE! (Click here to find out where to park)
Parking in the downtown/campus area is often not easy. We have great parking though! Click on the link above to locate one of two options: the AT&T Conference Center garage directly across the street or the small visitors lot next to the church building. If you park at the Conference Center, keep your parking ticket and we'll validate it at the church building.
Enter through the big main entrance on the corner of University Avenue and MLK Boulevard
Greeters will be at the entrances to help you feel welcome, know where to go, and where to take any children that need nursery care during the worship time. Please feel free to sit wherever you would like.
What happens in worship
Worship at the University Avenue Church consists of several simple but meaningful practices:
- Welcome/Announcements - someone will update the community on things to know and what has happened recently
- Singing and praise - a worship leader will lead the community in songs of faith and praise. The UA church does this in an a capella style - meaning without instruments. All are encouraged to sing, but it is not required! You are welcome to simply listen.
- Prayer - multiple prayers will be lead during the worship. Some are for concerns among the community, some are to praise God, and one is often recited together - the Lord's Prayer. The words of this prayer are displayed so you are able to participate if you'd like.
- Scripture reading - because we value the message of the Bible highly, it is important to us to read its words together. The scripture reading each week will usually connect to the message for that day.
- Message - our senior minister, Mitch East (or someone in his place), will deliver a dynamic and engaging lesson, usually based in a passage of scripture. This normally lasts around 20-30minutes.
- Communion (Lord's Supper, Eucharist) - The University Avenue community participates in the practice of the Lord's Supper each week. This usually consists of a devotional thought led by an individual or couple, and then the passing of bread and juice for the congregation to partake of individually. We practice open communion - all are welcome to participate.
- Giving - usually before or after the communion time, the congregation will participate in a time of giving. Giving is completely voluntary and visitors are not expected to give.
The worship time is usually concluded by 11:45am.
Click here for the current list of Bible classes.